Government: No-one will be left behind on broadband access

It has been rumoured for years, but now the Government has pledged to give everyone a legal right to request a 10Mbps connection by the end of this Parliament – no matter where they live.

Plans set out last week will help to ensure that every home and business can have access to fast broadband, as it will be considered a basic service like water and electricity, and a necessity in the 21st Century.

Prime Minister, David Cameron, said:

Access to the internet shouldn’t be a luxury; it should be a right – absolutely fundamental to life in 21st century Britain. That is why I’m announcing a giant leap in my digital mission for Britain. Just as our forebears effectively brought gas, electricity and water to all, we’re going to bring fast broadband to every home and business that wants it. That’s right: we’re getting Britain – all of Britain – online and on the way to becoming the most prosperous economy in the whole of Europe.”

So, who is the new government broadband plan aimed at?

As the government’s initial plan promised to provide fast broadband to 95% of homes, this new announcement is focused on reaching the remaining 5%. Digital Minister, Ed Vaizey, went on to explain that the plan was to bring in a universal service obligation of 10Mbps for “the very hardest to reach homes and businesses.”
The problem that the government has is the reliance on fibre installation across every corner of the UK – a project estimated to cost at least £15 billion. There’s also the issue of laying fibre cabling in Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and National Parks – an impossibility when it comes to protecting our environment.

What is the solution?

This is where Airband have stepped in. We’re specialists in providing fast broadband connections to rural areas and some of the hardest to reach places in the UK, with our latest contract to provide a fast connection across the whole of Dartmoor and Exmoor National Parks.

Our fixed-wireless technology is fast, reliable and sympathetic to the environment, ensuring that we work to preserve the landscape, not to destroy it. If you’re living or working in a poorly connected area, fill in our postcode checker or enquire today to find out if you’re eligible for a connection.

We are wholly delighted with the exceptional service from Airband, from the thoughtful, helpful office staff to the lovely engineer who got us set up so quickly and efficiently - definitely puts other providers to shame.

- Aishlyn, Devon